Sailboat racing in Gloucester had long since evolved from the elegant fishing schooners charging back from the Grand Banks into active one-design racing under the organization of the Cape Ann, East Gloucester and Gloucester Yacht Clubs when the occasion of Gloucester's 300th anniversary was celebrated in 1923.  The following summer of 1924 saw the Club opening with, a race around Gloucester harbor on June 28th, the Raymond's bathhouse- just north of the Club's present home- serving as its quarters, and John Greenough as our first commodore. It was fitting that the first activity of the club would be a race as sailboat racing was- and has always been at the center of the Club's existence.